Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are phenomenal soccer stars who set and break records at ease. The duo have mesmerized the football world with their ability to do the extraordinary on the pitch and without them, modern football would have been mundane.
These record orchestrators might be on the brink of retirement soon, but it cannot erase the fact that the records which they set will never be forgotten anytime soon.
However, despite the different records they have set, the legends have some synonymous records.
- MOST LA LIGA HAT-TRICKS IN A SEASON: Lionel Messi set the incredible record of the most hat-tricks in a La Liga season where he also scored 50 goals in 37 league appearances in the 2011/2012 season. He scored 8 hat-tricks against Osasuna, Atletico Madrid, Valencia, Granada, Malaga and Espanyol. The Argentine scored two hat-tricks each against Mallorca and Malaga that season. Before Cristiano Ronaldo’s move to Juventus in the 2018/2019 season , he equaled Messi’s hat-trick record in the 2014/2015 season. His shoot on sight policy was instrumental as he also scored 8 hat-tricks against Deportivo La Coruna, Elche, Atletico Bilbao, Celta Vigo, Sevilla, Espanyol and Getafe.
- MOST APPEARANCES IN THE FIFPro WORLD XI: The FIFpro WORLD XI is a team which comprises of the best players in each position on the pitch. It includes one goalkeeper, four defenders, three midfielders and three attackers. Since its inception in 2005, the two football gods have been included the most. They have set a record of the most appearances which is 14 times.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi Hat-tricks battle
- MOST HAT-TRICKS IN THE UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: Goal scoring is a hobby for Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi and the outstanding have scored 8 hat-tricks which is the highest in UEFA Champions League history. The Argentine football god has scored hat-tricks against Arsenal, Ajax, Viktoria Plzen, APOEL, Manchester City, Bayer Leverkusen, PSV and Celtic. While the Portuguese prolific goal scorer has scored hat-tricks against Atletico Madrid, Wolfsburg, Ajax, Shakhtar Donetsk, Galatasaray, Malmo and Bayern Munich. Also, he has scored two hat-tricks against Atletico Madrid.
- MOST APPEARANCES IN THE TOP 3 PODIUM OF THE BALLON D’OR : Since emerging in the top 3 of the Ballon d’or for the first time in 2007, these two legends have been performing wonders on the pitch and it is inevitable for them to keep on making the top three list, despite intense competition from other players . In 2007, Kaka ousted the duo and Messi finished second and Cristiano Ronaldo finished third. For over a decade, they have been domineering forces in world football and share a record of most top 3 nominations which is 12 times each. At the moment, Messi has scooped the coveted award six times and Ronaldo has one Ballon d’or award lesser than his rival.
- BOTH PLAYERS HAVE SCORED MORE THAN 500 CAREER GOALS : These ruthless goal machines are among the 29 players to find the back of the net 500 times in the history of soccer. Cristiano Ronaldo has now scored 759 goals for Portugal, Sporting Lisbon, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus in an ongoing nomadic career. On the other hand, Lionel Messi has amassed 719 goals for Argentina and Fc Barcelona at this point in time.