A lightweight match-up between Diego Ferreira and Gregor Gillespie has been added to UFC on ESPN 24. The bout was announced by ESPN’s Brett Okamoto. The card will be taking place at the UFC Apex, with T.J. Dillashaw and Cory Sandhagen headlining the event. Diego Ferreira and Gregor Gillespie haven’t been given a place on the event as of yet, with it more than likely being on the main card.
A Bounce-Back Fight for Diego Ferreira and Gregor Gillespie
Diego Ferreira (17-3, 8-3 UFC) is coming off a split decision loss to Beneil Dariush at UFC Vegas 18. In a close contest, Dariush slightly edged Ferreira to win on two of the judges’ scorecards. The bout was a re-match from 2014, where the pair fought at UFC 179 and Dariush was the first person to ever beat Ferreira.
In 2015, Ferreira was knocked out for the only time in his career against Dustin Poirier. From 2016 to 2021, Ferreira fought only six times, winning on all six occasions. His last victory came at UFC 246 when he submitted Anthony Pettis via a rear-naked choke.
Gregor “The Gift” Gillespie (13-1, 6-1 UFC) lost his undefeated record in his last bout against Kevin Lee at UFC 244. A staggering first-round head-kick knocked Gillespie out cold.
The American was scheduled to fight Brad Riddell at UFC Vegas 22, but the bout was canceled due to COVID-19 protocols. Gillespie has six knockouts and five submissions in his 13 victories.
With Diego Ferreira and Gregor Gillespie being the latest fight added to the event, the UFC currently has 13 bouts lined up, with potentially more to come. The order of bouts may change as fights fall off or get added to the card. Here’s what we have scheduled so far:
- Main Event Bantamweight Bout: Cory Sandhagen vs T.J. Dillashaw
- Middleweight Bout: Jun Yong Park vs Tafon Nchukwi
- Flyweight Bout: Zarrukh Adashev vs Ryan Benoit
- Heavyweight Bout: Maurice Greene vs Marcos Rogerio de Lima
- Welterweight Bout: Christian Aguilera vs Carlston Harris
- Flyweight Bout: Francisco Figueiredo vs JP Buys
- Lightweight Bout: Damir Hadzovic vs Nikolas Motta
- Welterweight Bout: Diego Sanchez vs Donald Cerrone
- Heavyweight Bout: Ben Rothwell vs Philipe Lins
- Women’s Strawweight Bout: Angela Hill vs Amanda Ribas
- Welterweight Bout: Neil Magny vs Geoff Neal
- Featherweight Bout: Michael Trizano vs L’udovit Klein
- Lightweight Bout: Diego Ferreira vs Gregor Gillespie
Julianna Pena and Taila Santos are still waiting to see if they can appear at the event, with their original opponents Holly Holm and Roxanne Modafferi dropping out due to injuries.
Who do you see winning between Diego Ferreira and Gregor Gillespie? Let us know your predictions in the comments below!
Follow me on Twitter @JakeBroderick98 for more combat sports news and discussions. Also, make sure to follow @OT_Heroics for all of your sporting needs. Don’t forget OTHeroicsMMA for all things MMA.
Featured Image Credits to Embed from Getty Images and Embed from Getty Images