UFC Vegas 33 turned out to be one of the most action-packed cards of 2021 thus far. In the event’s headliner, Sean Strickland staked his claim as a contender within the middleweight division by stifling Uriah Hall over five rounds.
Strickland’s performance was far from the only noteworthy news though. Cheyanne Buys bounced back in a massive way with an opening round highlight TKO. In addition to that, Jared Gooden needed just over a minute to dispose of his opponent with one flush connection. A couple other finishes along with several back and forth decisions rounded out the card.
UFC Vegas 33 Takeaways
Strickland Frustrates Hall On the Feet
Strickland and Hall both entered the headlining bout riding four fight winning streaks. Yet, it was evident from the opening bell that Strickland was a step ahead. Through sheer volume and precision the 30-year-old dictated the pace and took control of the center of the octagon. It’s not a stretch to say Strickland has one of the sharpest jabs in the division.
The California native returned to middleweight last October and he hasn’t looked back. He’ll now enter the division’s top-10 and a matchup with Jack Hermansson makes a lot of sense as a logical next step up the ranks. Strickland possesses a vibrant personality that will only add to the excitement atop the weight class.
Buys Captures First UFC Win
Not only did Buys secure her very first UFC victory at UFC Vegas 33, but she also earned a well-deserved Performance of the Night bonus. There was pressure on the shoulders of the 26-year-old strawweight following a rather disappointing outing in her debut last March. Buys shook off all that added pressure with a near flawless showing.
Buys has a little way to go before she finds herself in the rankings, but a matchup with fellow UFC Vegas 33 winner Jinh Yu Frey would give her a prime chance of achieving that feat. There’s little doubt that Buys displayed a more tenacious version of herself and that’s a scary proposition for anyone who faces her in the future.
UFC Vegas 33 Results
- Middleweight Bout: Sean Strickland def. Uriah Hall via Unanimous Decision (50-44, 50-45, 49-46)
- Women’s Strawweight Bout: Cheyanne Buys def. Gloria de Paula via TKO (head kick & punches)
- Welterweight Bout: Jared Gooden def. Niklas Stolze via KO (punch)
- Featherweight Bout: Melsik Baghdasaryan def. Collin Anglin via TKO (head kick & punches)
- Welterweight Bout: Jason Witt def. Bryan Barberena via Majority Decision (28-28, 29-27, 29-28)
- Lightweight Bout: Chris Gruetzemacher def. Rafa Garcia via Unanimous Decision (29-28 x3)
- Featherweight Bout: Kai Kamaka vs. Danny Chavez via Majority Draw (29-27, 28-28 x2)
- Women’s Strawweight Bout: Jinh Yu Frey def. Ashley Yoder via Unanimous Decision (30-27 x3)
- Flyweight Bout: Zarrukh Adashev def. Ryan Benoit via Unanimous Decision (30-27 x2, 29-28)
- Catchweight Bout: Phil Rowe def. Orion Cosce via TKO (punches)
Which performance from UFC Vegas 33 impressed you the most? Leave your thoughts in the comment section!
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram at @RyanTruland for all my latest work. Also, give us a follow on social media at @OTHeroicsMMA to stay tuned in with our content! Please visit our web page to keep up with everything MMA!
Featured Image Credits To Embed from Getty Images