Ranked heavyweights with title aspirations are set to collide at UFC Vegas 36 on Sept. 4 as #13 Tom Aspinall meets #15 Sergei Pavlovich.
News of this fight’s announcement was originally reported by UFC Europe. It’s since been relayed by other media outlets. The pair of heavyweights enter riding winning streaks, but only one will leave UFC Vegas 36 with their’s still intact.
Tom Aspinall vs Sergei Pavlovich
Tom Aspinall (10-2, 3-0 UFC) proudly represents Liverpool, England on the biggest stage. The 28-year-old currently trains at Team Kaobon alongside the likes of Darren Till and Mike Grundy. The owner of a BJJ black belt, Aspinall has learned the art chiefly under the guidance of his father, Andy.
Impressively, Aspinall has yet to go the distance in any of his pro fights. In fact, all of his victories have come via stoppage, and his lone defeat (that wasn’t a DQ) came via heel hook back in 2015. Since joining the UFC, Aspinall has looked the part of a future contender, going 3-0 with a couple of POTN bonuses to his name.
Sergei Pavlovich (14-1, 2-1 UFC) was thrown to the wolves upon entering the UFC, having to fight the legendary Alistair Overeem. Since his debut loss, Pavlovich has rattled off two straight opening-round finishes. However, the Russian product hasn’t competed since Oct. of 2019. Nevertheless, Pavlovich still has plenty of time to make a run up the ranks as he’s still just 29-years-old.
Currently, Pavlovich is making strides in his game at Undefeated Boxing Gym located in Upland, California. Fun fact, Pavlovich first began training hand-to-hand combat and sambo in the Russian army. Prior to that, he wrestled up until the 11th grade.
Current UFC Vegas 36 Lineup
- Middleweight Bout: Darren Till vs Derek Brunson
- Light-Heavyweight Bout: Paul Craig vs Alexander Gustafsson
- Bantamweight Bout: Jack Shore vs Said Nurmagomedov
- Light-Heavyweight Bout: Magomed Ankalaev vs Volkan Oezdemir
- Heavyweight Bout: Tom Aspinall vs Sergei Pavlovich
- Featherweight Bout: Charles Jourdain vs Lerone Murphy
- Light-Heavyweight Bout: Khalil Rountree vs Modestas Bukauskas
- Women’s Flyweight Bout: Ji Yeon Kim vs Molly McCann
- Lightweight Bout: Luigi Vendramini vs Paddy Pimblett
- Middleweight Bout: Dalcha Lungiambula vs Marc-Andre Barriault
- Welterweight Bout: David Zawada vs Sergey Khandozhko
- Women’s Flyweight Bout: Mandy Bohm vs Ariane Lipski
- Flyweight Bout: Alex Perez vs Matt Schnell
- Bantamweight Bout: Jonathan Martinez vs Marcelo Rojo
Who do you see prevailing when Tom Aspinall and Sergei Pavlovich square off on Sept. 4? Drop your prediction in the comment section!
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram at @RyanTruland for all my latest work. Also, give us a follow on social media at @OTHeroicsMMA to stay tuned in with all our content! Please visit our web page to keep up with everything MMA!
Featured Image Credits To Embed from Getty Images and Embed from Getty Images