Former Cage Warriors Welterweight Champion Ian Garry (7-0, 0-0 UFC) makes his promotional debut on the highly-stacked UFC 268 on November 6th. His opponent will be a hard-hitting striker and America’s own Jordan Williams (9-5, 0-2), who is yet to find a win inside the promotion. The announcement was released via Donagh Corby, who interviewed Garry for The Mirror.
When we say this card is stacked, it’s actually reaching the point of beyond stacked. Kamaru Usman and Colby Covington headline the card in their highly-anticipated re-match for the welterweight belt, with Zhang Weili and Rose Namajunas going to war for a second time in the co-main event for the strawweight title.
“The Future” Awaits
“The Future” was dominant in the Cage Warriors welterweight division, earning his belt at CW125 back in June via unanimous decision victory over Jack Grant. After five finishes inside seven fights in the promotion, the UFC had no option to snap him up before someone else did.
The Irishman can do it all, and he’s proved that with his undefeated record of seven wins. He doesn’t just finish his opponents, he hurts them with his powerful striking and insane ground & pound. It’s been a long-time coming for Garry to make his UFC debut, and he has been predicting it for a while.
Worries for Williams
After impressing on Dana White’s Contender Series in 2020, it’s safe to say Williams’ UFC career has not gone to plan so far. In his promotional debut, he faced Nassourdine Imavov, another prospect in the welterweight division, who was victorious via unanimous decision.
At UFC Vegas 32, Williams faced Mickey Gall in his second appearance in the octagon. Williams didn’t make it past the three-minute mark, with Gall submitting him via rear-naked choke to put more misery on Williams’ UFC career. Another loss could see Williams released from the UFC, but a win would be massive for him, over one of the biggest prospects in mixed martial arts today.
Here’s how the rest of UFC 268 is looking so far:
- Welterweight Title Bout: Kamaru Usman vs Colby Covington 2
- Women’s Strawweight Title Bout: Rose Namajunas vs Zhang Weili 2
- Lightweight Bout: Justin Gaethje vs Michael Chandler
- Middleweight Bout: Sean Strickland vs Luke Rockhold
- Women’s Bantamweight Bout: Germaine De Randamie vs Irene Aldana
- Bantamweight Bout: Frankie Edgar vs Marlon Vera
- Lightweight Bout: Al Iaquinta vs Bobby Green
- Middleweight Bout: Edmen Shahbazyan vs Nassourdine Imavov
- Light Heavyweight Bout: Aleksa Camur vs John Allan
- Featherweight Bout: Melsik Baghdasaryan vs TJ Laramie
- Middleweight Bout: Alex Pereira vs Andreas Michailidis
- Featherweight Bout: Shane Burgos vs Billy Quarantillo
What’s your thoughts on the match-up between Garry and Williams? Let us know in the comments below!
Follow me on Twitter @JakeBroderick98 for more combat sports news and discussions. Also, make sure to follow @OT_Heroics for all of your sporting needs. Don’t forget OTHeroicsMMA for all things MMA.
Featured Image Credits: Embed from Getty Images