The time has come, it’s finally been announced. Leon Edwards will face Jorge Masvidal at UFC 269 in December. The fight was first announced with UFC Chief of Business Hunter Campbell telling ESPN the promotion is in the process of finalizing a deal between the pair.
After knocking out Darren Till at UFC Fight Night London in 2019, Masvidal was involved in a post-fight altercation with Edwards. Ever since then, the pair have been involved in numerous rows over social media, but the fight wasn’t looking likely until now.
Five Rounds? A Title Eliminator?
First of all, this fight has all the makings to be an absolute classic. There’s clear animosity between the two, and fans always like a rivalry. Edwards was recently involved in a fantastic contest with Nate Diaz. With Masvidal, we know what to expect, the majority of his fights are classics.
This gives us the idea, we could be seeing five rounds in this contest, with two title fights already on the card. Edwards’ last fight with Diaz was the first time in UFC history, a non-main event and non-title bout had been scheduled for five rounds.
Masvidal has had his title-shot twice in the past 15 months, and Edwards has been waiting for a shot the last two years. It’s more than fair to say if Edwards comes away victorious in this one, he’ll be next in line for the winner of Kamaru Usman vs Colby Covington. If Masvidal is the winner, it’s hard to say he’ll be next, after he’s been defeated by Usman both times in his last two fights.
With the fight being announced, it wasn’t long till the pair shared their thoughts on Twitter.
UFC 269 Lineup
Here’s how the card is currently shaping up for the T Mobile Arena in December:
- Lightweight Title Bout: (C) Charles Oliveira vs Dustin Poirier
- Women’s Bantamweight Title Bout: (C) Amanda Nunes vs Julianna Pena
- Flyweight Bout: Kai Kara-France vs Cody Garbrandt
- Bantamweight Bout: Pedro Munhoz vs Dominick Cruz
- Welterweight Bout: Leon Edwards vs Jorge Masvidal
- Women’s Flyweight Bout: Priscila Cachoeira vs Gillian Robertson
- Bantamweight Bout: Randy Costa vs Tony Kelley
- Middleweight Bout: Dricus Du Plessis vs Andre Muniz
- Flyweight Bout: Alex Perez vs Matt Schnell
- Featherweight Bout: Ryan Hall vs Darrick Minner
- Bantamweight Bout: Sean O’Malley vs Raulian Paiva
What are your thoughts on the match-up between Edwards and Masvidal? Let us know in the comments below!