Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is on top of the world and he’s certainly not afraid to let the world know it.
Recently, in two separate interviews, the Mexican, four-division world champ superstar and current WBA/WBC/WBO super middleweight titlist, let it be known in no uncertain terms that he calls the shots when it comes to the big fights he takes.
Two of the most common future opponent names brought up to him by media are middleweight titlists Gennady Golovkin and Demetrius Andrade. Alvarez faced the former twice, drawing with him on their first meeting and then decisioning him in the second. Andrade, meanwhile, has been stalking Alvarez for years now, going so far as to barge into the Billy Joe Saunders post-fight press conference to call out the Guadalajara native.
Alvarez, who harbors ill will for both fighters, shot down the likelihood of providing a payday to either.
“He’s a horrible fighter,” Alvarez said of Andrade during an interview with Brian Custer on The Last Stand Podcast. “I’m never going to fight with him. He hasn’t fought with anybody.”
Also, in an interview for ESPN Deportes, Alvarez stomped on the idea of ever revisiting his rivalry with Kazakh KO machine, Golovkin.
“I am ready for everything,” Canelo said.
“I am ready for everything, I am ready to make the best fights. You [media] hang on to that [the Golovkin trilogy fight]. I’m doing more important things than him. Where is he? What has he done since he fought me? Nothing.
“I am doing other important things in my career. Beating champions, undefeated fighters.”
The bad blood with Golovkin has been well documented. Pushed into the bout after a couple of contentious years of being called (directly or indirectly) a coward and “ducker,” Alvarez’s draw with “Triple G” was widely criticized as a hometown Las Vegas decision for him. The rematch was put off due to Alvarez testing positive for the banned substance clenbuterol. And while Alvarez served a suspension, Golovkin and his team were brutal in their public criticisms of him as a “dirty” fighter, even going so far as to say that they thought he was using performance enhancing drugs in their first encounter. When the Alvarez-Golovkin rematch finally did happen, the fuming Mexican came into the fight more aggressive, taking the fight to Golovkin and earning a proper decision win.
Alvarez’s history with Andrade is less contentious, but not any friendlier. Canelo appears to see Andrade as more of an annoyance who, by invading his press conference and bugging him personally, earned a spot on his stubborn no-fight list.
At this point in his career, as the biggest draw in the sport and as a promotional free agent, Alvarez can pretty much call all the shots when it comes to his opposition. That means that if a potential foe pisses him off enough and in the wrong way, he just may freeze him out of the picture altogether. That appears to be what has happened with both Golovkin and Andrade.
As for who Alvarez WILL fight, well, that bout is already signed for November 6 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. He’ll be facing IBF super middleweight titlist Caleb Plant in a contest that will determine the 168 lb. division’s first-ever fully unified, four-belt world champ.
Plant, by the way, has probably enraged Canelo as much as Golovkin or Andrade with accusations of being a drug cheat and some salty language that resulted in a nasty pushing/punching match at their first press conference. The difference is that Plant holds the IBF belt that Alvarez needs to unify the division. So, he’ll bite the bullet and toss him a payday.
The Mexican, however, vows to punish and stop the Tennessee native for his transgressions en route to the “easy work” victory.