Mike ‘Blood Diamond’ Mathetha will make his Octagon debut at UFC 271 against Jeremiah Wells. ‘Blood Diamond’ was originally scheduled to face Orion Cosce at the event, but Cosce was forced to withdraw due to illness.
Wells was previously scheduled to face Tim Means at a Feb. 5 event but now steps in to welcome ‘Blood Diamond’ to the UFC one week later.
Big Debut for a Big Prospect
Mike ‘Blood Diamond’ Mathetha (3-0-0 0-0-0 UFC) is a product of City Kickboxing out of Auckland, New Zealand, the same gym that Adesanya calls home. ‘Diamond’ is a two-time King of the Ring champion and has been making waves for years in regional kickboxing, but now shifts his focus to full-time mixed martial arts.
‘Diamond’ has made three MMA appearances for promotions in New Zealand and Australia and was victorious in all three outings, earning a knockout, a submission, and a unanimous decision.
Stepping to the Octagon with ‘Diamond’ is Jeremiah Wells (9-2-1 1-0-0 UFC) who will be making his second UFC appearance.
Wells defeated Warlley Alves in his Octagon debut last June. He was originally scheduled to face Jake Matthews in December, but withdrew when his cornerman tested positive for COVID-19. He was then scheduled to face Tim Means on Feb. 5. That bout was canceled when Means withdrew for undisclosed reasons.
Wells is currently on a three fight win streak and has won six of his last seven bouts. In nine victories, seven have come by way of stoppage, four via KO/TKO, three via submission.
In the Toyota Center in Houston, TX, UFC 271 will feature the highly anticipated rematch between Israel Adesanya and Robert Whittaker. Additional bouts for the event include:
- Derrick Lewis vs. Tai Tuivasa (heavyweight bout)
- Jared Cannonier vs. Derek Brunson (middleweight bout)
- Kyler Phillips vs. Marcelo Rojo (bantamweight bout)
- Bobby Green vs. Nasrat Haqparast (lightweight bout)
- Roxanne Modafferi vs Casey O’Neill (women’s flyweight bout)
- Alex Perez vs Matt Schnell (flyweight bout)
- Ed Herman vs Maxim Grishin (light heavyweight bout)
- Mana Martinez vs Ronnie Lawrence (bantamweight bout)
- Alexander Hernandez vs Renato Moicano (lightweight bout)
- Carlos Ulberg vs Fabio Cherant (light heavyweight bout)
- AJ Dobson vs Jacob Malkoun (middleweight bout)
- Douglas Silva de Andrade vs Sergey Morozov (bantamweight bout)
- Andrei Arlovski vs Jared Vanderaa (heavyweight bout)
Card subject to change.