Paddy Pimblett plans to give the hometown crowd at UFC London some first-round fireworks. Pimblett (17-3-0 1-0-0 UFC) will step into the Octagon for the second time on March 19. In his sophomore effort, Pimblett will face Rodrigo ‘Kazula’ Vargas (12-4-0 1-2-0 UFC) at the O2 Arena in London.
Pimblett appeared on the UFC Unfiltered podcast to discuss his bout against Vargas and made a rather bold prediction in the process.
“It’s definitely gonna be a first-round finish,” Pimblett said. “I can’t see him lasting any more than five minutes with me to be honest. Even though he’s got good heart, he’s got a good chin, he’s resolute, but I showcased my striking in the last fight. I might have to showcase my grappling in this one. I’m going with a first-round submission or a first-round TKO off ground and pound.”
A Bit Of Confusion
The bout with Vargas was announced after some initial confusion when UFC President Dana White said that Pimblett’s next opponent would “probably” be Jared Gordon. The management team for both fighters denied that a bout with Gordon was ever discussed.
Even though the fight with Gordon was never formally offered to Pimblett, he’s happy it never materialized.
“I would have happily fought Jared Gordon, but at the same time, I looked at it, and he’s had nine UFC fights,” Pimblett said. “How much money do you think he’s getting? He’s getting a lot more than me, lad. So thinking about it that way, I’m glad I never ended up fighting Jared Gordon because I want a better and bigger contract before I fight people like that.”
The UFC confirmed that the March 19 event will take place at the 02 Arena in London, but no bout order or broadcast team has been announced. Bouts currently scheduled for the event include:
- Alexander Volkov vs Tom Aspinall- heavyweight bout
- Paddy Pimblett vs Kazula Vargas- lightweight bout
- Shamil Abdurakhimov vs Sergei Pavlovich- heavyweight bout
- Arnold Allen vs Dan Hooker– featherweight bout
- Nikita Krylov vs Paul Craig- light heavyweight bout
- Gunnar Nelson vs Claudio Silva– welterweight bout
- Jai Herbert vs Mike Davis- lightweight bout
- Muhammad Mokaev vs Cody Durden– bantamweight bout
- Mike Grundy vs Makwan Amirkhani- featherweight bout
- Molly McCann vs Luana Carolina- women’s flyweight bout
- Jack Shore vs Timur Valiev– bantamweight bout
- Cory Mckenna vs Elise Reed- strawweight bout
- Nathaniel Wood vs Liudvik Sholinian- bantamweight bout
As always, the card is subject to change.
Featured Image Credits to Embed from Getty Images