FORMULA ONE’S big return is almost upon us with the first race of the 2022 season just one week away.
The season opens its doors in Bahrain where defending champion Max Verstappen will be looking to fend off Lewis Hamilton, who is hunting down his record-breaking eighth world title.
There’s been several changes in the F1 world since last-season’s controversial finale in Abu Dhabi.
From drastic rule changes that were introduced during the off-season to encourage more wheel-to-wheel racing, to drivers lining up at new teams, but not to worry we have all the changes covered here at Overtime Heroics Motorsports.
Below are the key changes for the 2022 season..
- A ground-effect floor. The 2022 car has two long underfloor tunnels which create a ‘ground effect’ – meaning there is more suction under the car to pull it to the tarmac, while also ensuring more of the downforce is generated from under the car. The concept was popular back in the 1970s and ’80s in F1.
- A simplified front wing and a sharp new rear wing. These completely new parts on the 2022 cars have been designed to stop sending airflow outwards, narrowing it instead. The curved rear wing still has DRS, although it may be less impactful.
- 18-inch tyres with wheel winglets The bigger tyres are aesthetically pleasing while they should also improve the handling of the cars. The winglets have been added to help direct air away from the rear wing.
The new rules for the 2022 season are designed with a focus on shifting the aerodynamic focus from the wings to underneath the car, making it easier to follow the car in front, and thus improve racing.
Driver Line Ups
Mercedes – The biggest change on the grid starts at the top of the chain, as George Russell fills the Number 2 driver seat that was vacated by the switch of Valtteri Bottas to Alfa Romeo. Russell partners 7 Time Champion Lewis Hamilton.
Red Bull – Unchanged Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez.
Ferrari – Unchanged Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz.
Mclaren – Unchanged Lando Norris and Daniel Ricciardo.
Alpine – Unchanged Fernando Alonso Esteban Ocon.
Alpha Tauri – Unchanged Pierre Gasly and Yuki Tsunoda.
Aston Martin – Unchanged Sebastian Vettel and Lance Stroll.
Alfa Romeo – Complete change to the alfa romeo line up with Antonio Giovinazzi making way for China’s first ever F1 driver: Rookie Guanyu Zhou.
Williams – Nicholas Latifi continues to bring financial clout and some form of stability, for a third season with the Williams team who have added former RedBull driver Alex Albon as replacement for newly appointed Mercedes driver George Russell.
Haas – Mick Schumacher will have a new team-mate, with Haas terminating Russian driver Nikita Mazepin’s contract following his country’s invasion of Ukraine along with the sponsorship Uralkali. The team has announced the surprise F1 return of Kevin Magnussen. The Dane, previously raced for Haas between 2017 and 2020 and adds valuable experience to the progress of Schumacher.
Formula 1 2022 Season Betting Odds
Mercedes’ main-man Hamilton is favourite to win this year’s championship at 6/4.
While Red Bull’s superstar Verstappen is second favourite to defend his crown at 5/2.
Drivers Championship odds – Sky Bet
- Lewis Hamilton 6/4
- Max Verstappen 5/2
- George Russell 11/2
- Charles Leclerc 13/2
- Lando Norris 12/1
- Carlos Sainz 14/1
- Daniel Ricciardo 33/1
- Sergio Perez 50/1
Driver / Constructor Double outright odds – Sky Bet
- Hamilton & Mercedes 2/1
- Verstappen & Mercedes 11/2
- Verstappen & Red Bull 11/2
- Hamilton & Red Bull 9/1
- Russell & Mercedes 9/1
With the 2022 formula 1 season just one week away and the changes made, this is sure to add to the excitement of the 2021 season. Who will come away with the 2022 Drivers Championship?.
Image Credits – @F1 Instagram