Boxing

Golovkin: Canelo is “Mean…Indecent”

|
Image for Golovkin: Canelo is “Mean…Indecent”

As things are structured now, if Gennadiy “Triple G” Golovkin beats Ryota Murata on April 9 and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez beats Dmitry Bivol on May 7, the bitter rivals will be facing off for the third time on September 17. 

It’s a minor miracle that they’re at this point. Because, back in September of 2018, when Alvarez beat the Kazakh KO artist via majority decision, it sure seemed as though he had closed the door permanently to the rivalry. With bad blood still flowing, the Mexican star vowed to never put another dime in Golovkin’s pocket.

The bitterness between the two not only comes from a controversial decision in their first bout, but also accusations from Golovkin and his team that Alvarez had been using performance enhancing drugs– an accusation that stemmed from Alvarez testing positive for the banned substance clenbuterol months prior to his scheduled rematch with Golovkin.

At the time, Triple G stirred up extra bad blood by making comments like this, through an interpreter:

“This is Canelo. This is his team. This is his promotion…Canelo is cheating. They’re using these drugs, and everybody is just trying to pretend it’s not happening

“It was pretty obvious when (Alvarez’s) muscles were all (enlarged)…and with the traces of injections, which were visible.”

The ill will was beyond the usual boxing hyperbole created to help sell a fight. Alvarez legitimately wanted nothing to do with Golovkin…until a few weeks ago. 

In late February, it was announced that Alvarez had signed a two-fight deal with streaming service DAZN worth around $100 million to face Bivol and then Golovkin. He noted at the time that he’s revisiting the Golovkin beef because “he [Golovkin] talks a lot of s***.”

Well, Golovkin recently questioned that claim while hurling back his own insults.

“I’ll be honest with you. If he believes it was something I said and that it was personal, where has he been all these years? Three or four years already? If it’s personal, what has he been waiting for?

“Secondly, I have not said anything bad…Whatever has been said was tied to those scandals, and he was the cause of those scandals,” added Golovkin, referring to Canelo’s past failed blood test.

“There were arguments and proof. It’s not me, it’s the entire world,…If he believes I’m talking s***. That’s the entire world using the arguments and everything can be proven.

“For him to be making arguments now and framing it in this way, it’s kind of low, I would say…It’s kind of mean. It’s indecent behavior and I do not have any hate. I honestly don’t talk about him at all.

Golovkin claims his life has been just fine without Alvarez in it and he hasn’t given his archrival much thought in a good, long while.

“He’s not been in my focus currently for quite a while. Whatever was said in the past was in connection to the events that did, in fact, take place and there are arguments that you cannot argue with and say this was not true.”

Then, of course, Triple G would dip into his greatest hits and once again allude to Alvarez avoiding him, despite having already fought him twice.

“He had issues with the streaming service DAZN. There was a contract for our rematch, but they did everything to avoid it. They took it to court with the streaming service. If they had wanted that fight, they would have made efforts to make it happen, it’s as simple as that.

“Right now, those sorted remarks, it just looks mean.”

Fight fans are likely to see “mean” when/if these two enemies get in the ring with one another on September 17. 

Share this article

Paul Magno has over forty years of experience in and around the sport of boxing and has had his hand in everything, from officiating to training. As a writer, his work has appeared in several online publications, including Yahoo Sports, Fox Sports, FightHype, Max Boxing, Boxing.com, Inside Fights, The Boxing Tribune, The Queensberry Rules, and Premier Boxing Champions. You can reach him at: paulmagno@theboxingtribune.com