Welcome back, baseball. After a contentious offseason, America’s pastime is back in full force. This means it is time for plenty of “did you know” situations.
Prepare yourself with these 47 facts that serve no purpose in existing.
- Pete Alonso hit 25 home runs on the road in 2021, leading Major League Baseball.
- Juan Soto had a .525 on-base percentage in the second half of 2022.
- Five players stole 10 bases in a month in 2021 with Starling Marte doing so twice. He swiped 11 in July and 19 in August.
- While batting leadoff, Whit Merrifield hit 12 sacrifice flies. No other player had 10 sacrifice flies in a particular spot in the lineup.
- Marte, Rougned Odor, Anthony Rizzo, and Justin Turner were each plunked five teams in situations with no men on and two men out.
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. terrorized the Baltimore Orioles to the tune of a .333/.400/.853 slash line. His 12 home runs against the Orioles led all individuals versus a particular team.
- Juan Soto, Bryce Harper, Shohei Ohtani, and Robbie Grossman drew 50-plus walks at their home ballparks.
- Joey Gallo struck out against left-handed pitchers 83 times, the only hitter to strike out more than 75 times in that situation.
- Ohtani hit five triples in Angels losses, the most by any player in 2021.
- Cedric Mullins led MLB by hitting 21 doubles to lead off innings.
- The Toronto Blue Jays had three players who had at least 37 hits on the first pitch of plate appearances. Guerrero led MLB with 56 hits followed by Bo Bichette with 49. Teoscar Hernandez notched 37 to tie for fifth.
- DJ Peters was the only player to be intentionally walked with a runner on first base (only) in 2021.
- Matt Duffy, Maikel Franco, Joe Panik, and Jesse Winker grounded into three ninth-inning double plays.
- Brandon Belt had a 1.638 OPS in 48 plate appearances in his third time facing a starting pitcher.
- Among nine-hole hitters, Martin Maldonado led the Majors with 12 home runs. Bobby Dalbec was the only other player with at least 10.
- Mike Zunino hit nine home runs as an eight-hole hitter to lead the Majors.
- Isiah Kiner-Falefa notched 100 singles against right-handed pitchers, the most in baseball.
- Magneuris Sierra and Tyler Wade each stole seven bases after coming in as a substitute.
- Seby Zavala had three sacrifice hits in the sixth inning.
- Byron Buxton had a .481 batting average in the first inning, the highest batting average in an individual inning (minimum 50 plate appearances).
- Chris Taylor led baseball with 18 plate appearances in extra innings.
- Gallo, Yordan Alvarez, and Mark Canha each struck out six times after working a 3-0 count.
- Ohtani, Eduardo Escobar, and Kevin Kiermaier each had four triples in zero-out situations.
- Eight pitchers struck out 100 batters both on the road and at home.
- In 62 innings pitched in games he received six or more runs of support, Dylan Cease struck out 14.37 batters per nine innings.
- Only Anthony DeSclafani (first), Sean Manaea (first), and Max Fried (second) pitched multiple shutouts in one half of the season.
- Giovanny Gallegos had 11 saves in September/October, the most by a pitcher in a single month in 2021.
- Sandy Alcantara earned 16 decisions in road games, going 7-9.
- Patrick Corbin, Max Scherzer, and Tarik Skubal each allowed 12 home runs to lead off an inning.
- Alex Reyes issued six bases-loaded walks in 2021 to lead the Majors.
- In low-leverage situations, Liam Hendriks struck out 46 batters, only walking two.
- Tyler Alexander allowed five home runs to nine-hole hitters.
- Freddy Peralta led MLB with 10 walks after getting ahead 0-2 in the count.
- Among pitchers that threw 15 innings in situations with one out in an inning, Dominic Leone posted the lowest ERA: 0.00.
- Kolby Allard allowed 77 hits while his team trailed.
- Of Patrick Corbin’s 37 home runs allowed in 2021, 18 came off four days of rest while 18 came off five days of rest. Only Robbie Ray (23 on four days of rest) allowed more coming off any duration of rest.
- Seven pitchers committed multiple balks at one ballpark in 2021 including Antonio Senzatela, Shohei Ohtani, and J.C. Mejia doing so in one outing.
- Gerrit Cole won four games in which the Yankees gave him fewer than three runs of support, the most in baseball.
- Daniel Castano faced ten opposing pitchers in 2021. Adrian Houser hit two home runs against him – the only two he has hit in his career.
- German Marquez had eight wild pitches with two outs in an inning.
- Ryan Weathers had three successful pickoffs in the first innings of games, leading pitchers in any inning.
- Among pitchers to throw 30 innings, Andrew Chafin had the most dominant inning (0.27 ERA in the eighth inning). Patrick Corbin had an ERA of 8.13 in the first inning.
- Both Jake Arrieta and Kyle Hendricks allowed 43 earned runs in their first time through an order. Patrick Sandoval allowed just four (1.14 ERA).
- Jon Gray walked 35 hitters in day games, the most in baseball.
- The most common pitcher-lineup spot matchup in 2021 was Zack Wheeler facing 105 one-hole batters.
- Robbie Ray was the only pitcher to strike out 50 batters in a month twice, doing so in June and August.
Bonus Playoff Fact
In Game 6 of the NLCS, Freddie Freeman became the 17th player in playoff history to walk four times in one game.
Main image credit Embed from Getty Images