Boxing

Teofimo disses Garcia, Garcia says he still wants Tank

|
Image for Teofimo disses Garcia, Garcia says he still wants Tank

There’s been a lot of yap, yap, yap from 24-year-old rising star Ryan Garcia about lusting after a big-money bout with fellow 20-something presence Gervonta “Tank” Davis. However, there’s been little in the way of actual progress when it comes to making that fight.

Garcia’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya has said that he plans on attending former unified lightweight champ Teofimo Lopez’s fight this coming Saturday in hopes of maybe pursuing an alternative blockbuster clash for his fighter with the 25-year-old Lopez.

Lopez, however, is not buying into any of the narratives and tales coming from the Ryan Garcia side of things.

“That could be a publicity stunt to keep Ryan up in the feeds,” Lopez told Fight Hub TV. “My fight is coming up. Everyone is watching me. Come on, guys. You’ve got to think outside the box.

“So I’m not going to believe it until I see the contract. Let’s talk about Pedro Campa, the guy I’m fighting this Saturday. Ryan did his thing [against Javier Fortuna], Tank did his thing against [Rolando Romero]. This is my time to shine. I’m not going to give all that to Ryan Garcia. F*** you. That’s how I feel. You’re not going to play me. Not anymore. No, not at all.

“I don’t duck no fighter. I take everybody they give me. Ask the Top Rank matchmakers. They’re the greatest in the business. I never say no to any fight, but right now, I’m focused on Aug. 13 and Pedro Campa. Ryan Garcia, he’s just hype. He’s all happy because of his last performance, so he thinks he can take on everybody. He feels like Superman, but really, he’s his own kryptonite.”

In the face of this pretty firm dismissal, Garcia continues to put himself in the public eye, insisting that Lopez is not even a thought for him and that he remains solely focused on a showdown with Davis. His team is also pretty aggressive in getting that word out there.

Per Mike Coppinger of ESPN:

“The only fighter Ryan Garcia is focused on is Gervonta Davis, and he’s instructed his team to make that matchup next, a source tells ESPN. Garcia is optimistic that the deal will get done for a fight vs. Tank in December.”

Garcia, whose social media accounts number well over 9 million followers, verified Coppinger’s post.

“A source close confirms this is true,” Garcia wrote via his verified Twitter account.

Lopez, who also claims to have an eye for blockbuster battles with the young talent in his weight range, will be taking on the unknown and unheralded Mexican Pedro Campa this Saturday at Resorts World in Las Vegas. It’ll be his first fight back since dropping his three world lightweight title belts to George Kambosos Jr. last November.

In Garcia’s last bout, last month, he shined in stopping former world titlist Javier Fortuna in six rounds. The victory was, arguably, the biggest and most impressive of his young career and a breakthrough to, perhaps, crossover stardom.

Post-Fortuna stoppage, Garcia called out the 27-year-old Gervonta Davis and has been steadfast in his claims to want the high-profile showdown as a means to gain instant respectability as well as supposedly settle an old grudge.

Davis’ side of the fence, however, has been quiet and apparently indifferent to Garcia’s call outs.

Meanwhile, De La Hoya has given contradictory status reports on supposed Garcia-Davis negotiations, one day saying that talks had begun and, literally, the next day, saying that he hasn’t been able to get a hold of anyone on Davis’ side.

Most likely, Garcia, Davis, and Lopez will all end up fighting other opposition– and not each other– in the immediate future. That’s boxing.

Share this article

Paul Magno has over forty years of experience in and around the sport of boxing and has had his hand in everything, from officiating to training. As a writer, his work has appeared in several online publications, including Yahoo Sports, Fox Sports, FightHype, Max Boxing, Boxing.com, Inside Fights, The Boxing Tribune, The Queensberry Rules, and Premier Boxing Champions. You can reach him at: paulmagno@theboxingtribune.com