Lawler was scheduled to face fellow Welterweight-Santiago Ponzinibbio at UFC 282 on the main card this Saturday night. The promotion is actively seeking a replacement, though no one has been named officially yet.
Former Welterweight Champ-Lawler (29-16-1 MMA, 14-10 UFC) has only made one appearance in the cage this year and that was at UFC 276 back in July against Bryan Barberena. Barberena defeated Lawler in the second round via. TKO. After the unfortunate news, it seems that will be the only bout Lawler has this year.
‘Ruthless’ last win came at UFC 266 in September of 2021. Lawler defeated Nick Diaz in his long-awaited return to MMA competition. Lawler won the bout via. TKO in the third round. Prior to the bout with Diaz, Lawler was on a four-fight losing skid. Hopefully, Lawler’s injury isn’t extensive and is manageable to bounce back quickly from.
The ‘Argentine Dagger’ Ponzinibbio (28-6 MMA, 10-5 UFC) is left stranded after the news of Lawler’s withdraw. Ponzinibbio is surely looking to get back in the win column after losing his last two bouts. Ponzinibbio’s last win was against Miguel Baeza in July of 2021, winning that bout by unanimous decision.
Following the win, the Argentina native lost narrowly to Geoff Neal in December of 2021 by split decision and again losing by split decision to Michel Pereira in May earlier this year. Fingers crossed that Ponzinibbio (1-3 in his last four) can get a replacement opponent for this Saturday and work towards getting a win this calendar year.
If the UFC finds a replacement opponent for Ponzinibbio, check back often and we’ll keep you updated with any news on the matter.
Update: Alex Morono will replace Lawler
Morono (11-4-1 UFC, 22-7-1) will step in on six days notice to face Ponzinibbio at a catch weight of 180 lbs.
UFC 282 Full Card
Keep in mind the card is subject to change at any moment. Full card via. Tapology.
- Bantamweight Bout- Cameron Saaiman (6-0) vs. Steven Koslow (6-0)
- Flyweight Bout- Daniel da Silva (11-4) vs. Vinicius Salvador (14-4)
- Featherweight Bout- Erik Silva (9-1) vs. TJ Brown (16-9)
- Light Heavyweight Bout- Ovince St. Preux (26-16) vs. Antonio Trocoli (12-3)
- Featherweight Bout- Billy Quarantillo (16-4) vs. Alexander Hernandez (13-5)
- Middleweight Bout- Chris Curtis (29-9) vs. Joaquin Buckley (15-5)
- Middleweight Bout- Edmen Shahbazyan (11-3) vs. Dalcha Lungiambula (11-5)
- Bantamweight Bout- Jay Perrin (10-6) vs. Raul Rosas Jr. (6-0)
- Heavyweight Bout- Jairzinho Rozenstruik (12-4) vs. Chris Daukaus (12-5)
- Featherweight Bout- Bryce Mitchell (15-0) vs. Ilia Topuria (12-0)
- Middleweight Bout- Darren Till (18-4-1) vs. Dricus Du Plessis (17-2)
- Lightweight Bout- Paddy Pimblett (19-3) vs. Jared Gordon (19-5)
- Light Heavyweight Vacant Title Bout- Jan Blachowicz (29-9) vs. Magomed Ankalaev (18-1)