User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Will Begin Again

Thanks

MLB Baseball Will Begin Again

The players and owners agreed on a 60 game season, to begin around July 23.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-announc...regular-season
    Here are some of the key points to the agreement:
    • Teams will open the season with a 30-man active roster; it will be reduced to 28 players after two weeks, then to 26 after four weeks.
    • The Trade Deadline will be Aug. 31.
    • To be eligible for the postseason, a player must be added to the Major League roster by Sept. 15.
    • Teams will be permitted to carry up to three taxi-squad players on the road during the season, though if a team carries three such players, one must be a catcher.
    • During extra-inning games in the regular season, each half-inning will begin with a runner on second base. The batter who made the final out in the previous inning (or a pinch-runner for that batter) would be that runner.
    • There will be a 10-day injured list for both pitchers and hitters, though the 60-day IL will be reduced to a 45-day IL.
    • There will be a separate IL for players who either test positive or have symptoms/confirmed exposure to COVID-19. There is no maximum or minimum days for this IL.
    • MLB’s transaction freeze, which has been in place since the season was suspended, will end on Friday at 12 p.m. ET.
    • In addition to COVID-19 testing every other day, some other health precautions are as follows: Team personnel and players not likely to participate in the game (for example, the next day's starting pitcher) will be sitting in the stands or another area designated by the club, at least six feet apart; non-playing personnel will wear masks in dugout and bullpen at all times; no spitting or chewing tobacco (gum is permitted); no celebratory contact (high-fives, fist bumps, hugs, etc.).
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to catman For This Useful Post:

Tomahawk Chop (06-24-2020)

Thanks

• During extra-inning games in the regular season, each half-inning will begin with a runner on second base. The batter who made the final out in the previous inning (or a pinch-runner for that batter) would be that runner.
    This will be interesting!

Thanks

Interesting is not the term I would use to describe this rule. Stupid is more like it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to catman For This Useful Post:

brett05 (07-07-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Interesting is not the term I would use to describe this rule. Stupid is more like it.
    Why is it stupid? What is stupid about it?

The reasoning behind it is the same as adopting the DH across the board. To preserve energy of the players.

The 'International Tie-Break' Rule is common in the sport of Fastball (which is what I played growing up).

It forces execution in the extra innings and makes it more of a 'sudden death' feeling like in other sports. The 17 and 18 inning games are not as exciting as what the international tie-break rule will bring.

It also brings strategy which is exciting in baseball. Teams that have players that can bunt and get that runner over to third right away are going to help teams win. Some teams are gonna try swinging for the fences to get that two run lead and sometimes it will work, but more often than not it won't.

It also allows for the defense to execute to win a game. If the team can get that lead runner out on the bunt or first play then that works out well. Or the defense might choose to put the first batter on and try turning a double play.

I think it will be great and will help games get done in 10-12 innings as opposed to 17-18 sometimes!

Thanks

Even avowed purists don't really want to watch their club's sixth reliever go through the opposing teams' 7-8-9 hitters in the top of the 13th; at that point, it's hard to resist switching to Netflix or just turning off the TV and going to bed. By placing a runner on second to start the frame, though, every at-bat in extras is a high-leverage one, making for guaranteed intensity no matter who's up, and with a runner in scoring position at all times, the likelihood of a game stretching past the point of interest is considerably lower.
    Comment from The Score article

Thanks

I'll tell you why I think it is stupid. It artificially affects the game. Let the game play out the way it was intended.
    This season, I think the DH in the NL will help pitchers. They will be able to concentrate on pitching and not worry about swinging bats. If they can hit, as some can, they can be used as pinch hitters occasionally.
    I am old-school in most cases, but many pitchers have not batted since they were in high school. They are paid to pitch and anything else is a bonus. Give the teams another bat to help them out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to catman For This Useful Post:

brett05 (07-07-2020)

Thanks

I'll tell you why I think it is stupid. It artificially affects the game. Let the game play out the way it was intended.
    This season, I think the DH in the NL will help pitchers. They will be able to concentrate on pitching and not worry about swinging bats. If they can hit, as some can, they can be used as pinch hitters occasionally.
    I am old-school in most cases, but many pitchers have not batted since they were in high school. They are paid to pitch and anything else is a bonus. Give the teams another bat to help them out.
    They are only doing the international tie-breaking rule for the regular season. Its like the NHL does with the 3 vs 3 for regular season overtime. And then a shootout. It makes for an exciting finish to regular season games as opposed to games dragging out until all hours of the night.

Even avowed purists don't really want to watch their club's sixth reliever go through the opposing teams' 7-8-9 hitters in the top of the 13th; at that point, it's hard to resist switching to Netflix or just turning off the TV and going to bed.
    I think it will be more exciting than you think. And its better than the alternative of ending in a tie if the teams do not have a winner after 11 or 12 innings.

Thanks

Is very Good yea!!!

Thanks

I agree. Baseball's attempts to "speed up the game" are getting a bit ridiculous. Extra inning games should remain the way they've always been.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dwj21792 For This Useful Post:

brett05 (07-07-2020)

Thanks

So, I have a few thoughts.

I am SO excited to have baseball back!

I think this season will of course have an asterisk on it because it is well, only 60 games. However, that should not discount the winner of the World Series. If someone hits .400, of course that shouldn't count, but it would be cool to see!

I am curious to see who all make the playoffs this year, and how overall everything plays out.

Thread Information