User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Will Begin Again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dwj21792 View Post
    I agree. Baseball's attempts to "speed up the game" are getting a bit ridiculous. Extra inning games should remain the way they've always been.
    Should they??

They are having a shorter training camp, they are condensing the schedule, I think they are making the right decision it limit injuries.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomahawk Chop For This Useful Post:

brett05 (07-07-2020)

Thanks

I believe someone starting at second base in extra innings is a little ridiculous. Is that implemented into this season? I know that has been a thing in the minors for a year or two now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    I believe someone starting at second base in extra innings is a little ridiculous. Is that implemented into this season? I know that has been a thing in the minors for a year or two now.
    Its common in Men's Fastball as well. Especially in international competition.

I don't think they are adopting it for playoffs... just for regular season.

So we can compare it to the 3 on 3 overtime and shootout in hockey in the regular season.

I think the players want this in baseball just like they want the universal DH right now... and I think its the wise choice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk Chop View Post
    Its common in Men's Fastball as well. Especially in international competition.

I don't think they are adopting it for playoffs... just for regular season.

So we can compare it to the 3 on 3 overtime and shootout in hockey in the regular season.

I think the players want this in baseball just like they want the universal DH right now... and I think its the wise choice.
    Just seems a little less skill-based than what you described with a shootout. Already granting someone second base?

Universal DH I love!

Thanks

Just seems a little less skill-based than what you described with a shootout. Already granting someone second base?

Universal DH I love!
    Its requires significant strategy on the team part.

Option 1) Bunt the guy over then sacrifice fly to take a 1 run lead - skills required... someone who can lay down a bunt and someone who can hit a deep enough fly to score the runner.

Then you are on defence and you need a pitcher to strike out the side or you need to force a ground ball that holds the runner at second.

Option 2) Let your guys swing away Hopefully they hit a double or a homer and get a bigger lead than a 1 run lead.

Option 3) Defense - walk the first batter and put a force on all around... but then if a guy hits a double our home run you have a bigger deficit.

If you think that starting with a runner changes any of the skills of baseball then I am not sure you understand the concepts of it. You still have to strategically score runs by bunting, stealing, hitting... and you still have to prevent runs by getting the batters out.

The player starting on second is more like real baseball than the shootout in hockey. A shootout becomes about two players... the shooter and the goalie.

The true equivalence of a shootout for baseball would be picking 3 batters from each team to hit the ball off of a tee and seeing which team hit the balls the furthest distance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk Chop View Post
    Its requires significant strategy on the team part.

Option 1) Bunt the guy over then sacrifice fly to take a 1 run lead - skills required... someone who can lay down a bunt and someone who can hit a deep enough fly to score the runner.

Then you are on defence and you need a pitcher to strike out the side or you need to force a ground ball that holds the runner at second.

Option 2) Let your guys swing away Hopefully they hit a double or a homer and get a bigger lead than a 1 run lead.

Option 3) Defense - walk the first batter and put a force on all around... but then if a guy hits a double our home run you have a bigger deficit.

If you think that starting with a runner changes any of the skills of baseball then I am not sure you understand the concepts of it. You still have to strategically score runs by bunting, stealing, hitting... and you still have to prevent runs by getting the batters out.

The player starting on second is more like real baseball than the shootout in hockey. A shootout becomes about two players... the shooter and the goalie.

The true equivalence of a shootout for baseball would be picking 3 batters from each team to hit the ball off of a tee and seeing which team hit the balls the furthest distance.
    I never said it doesn't take strategy. That's literally all baseball is, strategy, skill and dumb luck.

Skill wise, you are allowing a lead-off double and seeing a now what? Scenario. I just feel like it cheapens the game, and it isn't how baseball has been intended to be played.

I typically enjoy and agree with most rule changes, but that one is still rough for me. Yes, you bring up the points it still takes a bunt and a sac fly to bring him in, but so does a lousy blooper single. When in reality that blooper would have just had someone on first, and the inning is still not lost.

I don't disagree with your points. You lay them out and they're fine, but I disagree with changing how things have been for the sake of changing them.

It doesn't change the skills, it cheapens it. Might as well start them at third and get the game over with. Extra innings are there for a reason.

Thanks

I never said it doesn't take strategy. That's literally all baseball is, strategy, skill and dumb luck.

Skill wise, you are allowing a lead-off double and seeing a now what? Scenario. I just feel like it cheapens the game, and it isn't how baseball has been intended to be played.

I typically enjoy and agree with most rule changes, but that one is still rough for me. Yes, you bring up the points it still takes a bunt and a sac fly to bring him in, but so does a lousy blooper single. When in reality that blooper would have just had someone on first, and the inning is still not lost.

I don't disagree with your points. You lay them out and they're fine, but I disagree with changing how things have been for the sake of changing them.

It doesn't change the skills, it cheapens it. Might as well start them at third and get the game over with. Extra innings are there for a reason.
    Yes, they are there for a reason. But teams still have to execute and score that run. Or score multiple runs. Both teams still get to bat... both teams get the runner on second.

The underlying reason is to keep games shorter and keep the players healthy.

You can't argue against this rule change and then argue for the DH rule... they are both being implemented for the same reasons... player health.

If the international tie-break rule cheapens the game... then so does the universal DH.... right brett05 haha

Thanks

I am most happy that the NL advantage is finally gone

10. The Following User Says Thank You to brett05 For This Useful Post:

Tomahawk Chop (07-07-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    I am most happy that the NL DISadvantage is finally gone
    I think auto-correct got you there brett05.... I fixed it for you!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomahawk Chop For This Useful Post:

brett05 (07-08-2020)

Thanks

Its nice to have current games to watch. Some are live, others are recorded.
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.

Thread Information