Kansas City will enter the 2020 as defending Super Bowl champions. With a target on their back, how does the Chiefs 2020 schedule break down?
Chiefs 2020 Schedule
- Week 1: Sept. 10: vs. Texans, 7:20 p.m.
- Week 2: Sept. 20: at Chargers, 3:25 p.m.
- Week 3: Sept. 28: at Ravens, 7:15 p.m.
- Week 4: Oct. 4: vs. Patriots, 3:25 p.m.
- Week 5: Oct. 11: vs. Raiders, 12 p.m.
- Week 6: Oct. 15: at Bills, 7:20 p.m.
- Week 7: Oct. 25: at Broncos, 3:25 p.m.
- Week 8: Nov. 1: vs. Jets, 12 p.m.
- Week 9: Nov. 8: vs. Panthers, 12 p.m.
- Week 10: Nov. 15: BYE WEEK
- Week 11: Nov. 22: at Raiders, 7:20 p.m.
- Week 12: Nov. 29: at Buccaneers, 3:25 p.m.
- Week 13: Dec. 6: vs. Broncos, 7:20 p.m.
- Week 14: Dec. 13: at Dolphins, 12 p.m.
- Week 15: Dec. 20: at Saints, 3:25 p.m.
- Week 16: Dec. 27: vs. Falcons, 12 p.m.
- Week 17: Jan. 3 vs. Chargers, 1 p.m.
The Chiefs will face the Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, Falcons, Panthers, Texans, Patriots, and Jets at home this season. In 2019 the team went 5-3 at home with one loss coming without Patrick Mahomes.
The Chiefs will face the Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, Ravens, Bills, Dolphins, Saints, and Buccaneers this season. In 2019 the team went 7-1 on the road with one win coming without Patrick Mahomes.
Prime Time Games
The Chiefs will be on prime time television five times this season. That is tied for the most in 2020. In the Mahomes era, the Chiefs have gone 4-6 in prime time games. Despite losing 60% of their prime time games, they have outscored opponents 294-263. Their prime time deficiencies are more defensive related than spotlight woes.
They will be hosting the Texans in week one, travel to Baltimore in week 3, travel to Buffalo in week 6, travel to Las Vegas in week 11, and then round out by hosting the Broncos in week 13. The Chiefs went 6-1 against those five teams in 2019.
In the first quarter of the season, the team will host the Texans in prime time, travel to LA to battle the Chargers, travel to Baltimore to play the Ravens in prime time, and then head back to KC to host the Patriots. The rest of the schedule is not that difficult. How they play in the first four weeks could determine who gets home-field advantage in the AFC.
Strength of Schedule
The strength of schedule is determined by looking at the opponents win percentage the previous season. The Chiefs have the 14th easiest schedule based on 2019 win opponent win percentage. However, if you look at the over/under win total for each opponent in 2020, the Chiefs have the eighth easiest schedule.
This relatively easy schedule will help the Chiefs attempt to become the first back to back Super Bowl Champions since the 2003-2004 Patriots.
Follow me on Twitter @SomeFantasyGuy for more content and NFL talk!
Come discuss this and much more at the Overtime Heroics forums!
Be sure to check out our partners at Repp Sports! They offer the first-ever crowd-sourced, no carb, no sugar, energy drink called RAZE, and much more! Use the link above or add the promo code OTH1 at checkout to get 30% off your order!